Friday, May 27, 2016

Do You Get Tired of Going Deeper

"Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ."  Phillipian 1:6

Father, we thank You for the promise to complete the good work that You have begun in each of us individually and that You are completing the good work You began through Deeper Still.  We ask for Your will to be done. Lord, empty us of ourselves.  In Jesus' name, Amen. 

The Christmas tree lights glimmered with the hope of the season.  Kid's smiles and chuckles of joy drenched the atmosphere like dew-covered trees in the dawn of day. Yet, even as I sat surrounded by celebration, my heart weighed heavy with what was missing rather than being immersed in the joy of the present.

My husband handed me a gift.  A touch of hope grabbed me as I imagined its contents.  Perhaps a necklace, a diamond bracelet, or a new sparkling watch? Eagerly, I tore open the package.  As the paper fell in torn confetti to the floor, my prize was revealed...books.  Two Bible study books.

My husband explained, "I thought we could do the books together, to work on ourselves."  Bless his heart. His motive was pure and it was a very thoughtful and sweet gift.  He knew how much I loved Bible studies and I was ALWAYS working on myself, so seemingly, this would have been the perfect gift...except.  Except, that Christmas morning, something inside of me snapped, and I said, "I'm so tired of working on myself!  Will I ever be done?!"  (My sweet and loving husband ended up taking the books back.)

That Christmas morning was about 7 years ago.

About one week ago,  I enthusiastically explained to a friend how the Lord had revealed some things to me and was continuing to take me deeper in healing. She asked me with thought and care,  "Do you ever get tired of going deeper? Don't you ever just want to be done?"

At that moment, I thought how there was a time not too many Christmas' ago when I was tired and did just want to be DONE.  However, as I responded, I joyfully was able to answer, "No, I actually love to go deeper now, and I have realized that there is always deeper and I won't ever be done until Jesus comes back or until I reach heaven. "  And, I meant every word.  I really do love going deeper with the Lord.

The difference?  I believe the difference is found in Phil 1:6.  "He who has began a good work in you will complete it."



Before, I was trying in my own efforts to fix myself. I use to work like it was up to me, and it was exhausting.  Now, I just let God be God and He is the One doing the work.  Yes, I have to cooperate, but I know it isn't all up to me.  And that my friends, is freeing and beautiful.

When Jesus is doing the work, it isn't toilsome, its treasure-some.  Going deeper is better than diamonds or any earthly present.  It is truly a priceless gift from our Husband, Jesus, with each layer unwrapped revealing more and more of His love.   It is not a thing to be avoided, but a gift of His never-ending love.


4 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Sue. Thank you for always sharing your heart. I treasure your honesty and caring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Colleen! What a blessing it was to meet you in person recently! Love you!

      Delete
  2. It was a wonderful blessing to me, as well. When I first learned more than a year ago about you & Deeper Still, I thought, how beautiful. No way could I have imagined all God had in store. So appreciate your servants' hearts!

    ReplyDelete