Thursday, March 24, 2016

A Life of Significance

“And he who reaps receives wages, and gathers fruit for eternal life, that both he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together.” John 4:36

Lord, we know you are in all things.  Father, I pray for every member of the Deeper Still team to see their role as significant in all you are doing whether big or small or in the sowing or reaping.  May your eternal Kingdom will and work be done on earth as it is in heaven. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

What marks a person’s life at significant?  Is it a number of lives touched by a person? Is it speaking to multitudes in large ballrooms or coliseums?  If someone reaches 1,000 for the Lord, surely that person is counted as significant, right?  Or is it?  Perhaps what we would view as seemingly smaller actually measures larger on the Kingdom scale. 

The Lord has been stirring in me the significance of one.  There was a widow women who gave all she had…2 pennies (Luke 21:3). Small and seemingly insignificant, but huge in the eyes of the Lord.  Jesus Himself was very much into doing the small things.  He did speak to the multitudes at times, but most the stories we find in the gospels are about the one on one ministry He did.

The Samaritan women Jesus met one on one at the well.
  
The man healed at the pool of Bethesda.  

The adulteress thrown to Him in the sand. 

The man born blind.  

Raising Lazarus from the dead.
  
One on one conversations with His disciples.
  
And so many more.
  
The world likes to place a number on success.  Number of followers.  Number of likes.  Number of retweets.  And there is nothing bad or wrong necessarily in this, but it isn’t an accurate measurement.  Significance can’t be measured by social media or status updates.  Significance is based on inheritance—Kingdom inheritance.  You are a divine son or daughter of the Most High and that status and “like” by the One alone qualifies you as significant.   

People we may never meet have influenced us in ways we may never know this side of eternity.  We never met them yet, their life was significant.  Significant to God.  Significant to His Kingdom.  Significant to eternity. 

This past week, a friend of Deeper Still and former Deeper Still Team Member went to be with the Lord.  Her name is Derinda.  I never knew her nor had the privilege of meeting her.  But, one thing I do know is that the significance of her life is not able to be measured here on earth.  Her significance in the Kingdom is known to God and today she is rejoicing with Jesus and all those loved ones who have gone before her.

(Derinda is the one in the orange next to another team member, Sheila, at Eagle Rock.) 

From her picture, I can see Derinda was a beautiful person on the outside and from what I have heard from others and what I know of this team, she had a huge heart for God and setting the captives free.  One on one impact for Christ is never a small thing in the scale of Kingdom significance.   As I mentioned, I never met Derinda, but I can bet there is a dance party going on in the heavenlies unlike anything we have witnessed.  We honor your life Derinda and all you were and did in the Kingdom. Derinda, your life was significant. 


Significance.  It isn’t something that can be measured.  There are no earthly tools for this task.  All we can do is follow the Holy Spirit and live each day given to us in obedience.  Talk to those God puts in our paths.  Go out of our way to talk to those God lays on our hearts.  Significance is in the small.  It is in the mundane.  It is sowing.  It is reaping.  It is being led.  It is following.  It is in being a child of the Most High.  You, my friends, are significant. 

1 comment:

  1. I met Derinda at Eagle Rock where we attended the same Deeper Still retreat. I was drawn to her from the first moment I met her and although we were very different (me being very reserved and modest and she being very bold and confident) I felt a strong connection and loved her right away. She felt the same. I'm so thankful for the friendship that was forged in those deeper still moments while we were there on that mountain and in the days, weeks,months and years later.
    I'm so thankful for the phone calls and the messages.
    We both discovered around the same time that we would soon be blessed with grandchildren. That was a difficult time for me as my son was still in High School and so not what I had planned for him...but my dear friend Derinda walked me through it.
    While I'm heartbroken that she is gone, I'm comforted knowing that one day I will see her again...
    She was beautiful inside and out and my life was blessed by knowing and loving her ❤

    ReplyDelete