Thursday, December 18, 2014

Jesus Take the Helm

“And when He had finished speaking, He said to Simon, "Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch...And when they had done this, they enclosed a large number of fish, and their nets were breaking.”  Luke 5:4,6

Dear Lord,  As the Deeper Still leadership seeks you for your plan for them for 2015 and beyond, will you show them where to cast their nets?  We thank you that all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are found in you Jesus Christ.  We're asking that you reveal to Deeper Still those treasures of wisdom, strategy and power so that they can be fishers of men; bringing the good news of salvation, healing and deliverance from abortion wounded hearts.  Amen!

Deep water has always caused me hesitation.  Whenever I go to the beach, I tend to stay where my feet can touch and where I can see what lies below the surface of the waves.  When I can see, then I know where to step.  It takes faith and courage to go out to the deep. 

A few years ago, my husband and I went to Key West for vacation.  While we were visiting, we went on an excursion out into the middle of the ocean, to the deep.  The captain of the ship knew where he was going and had taken multitudes of tourists to this familiar destination.  He knew where it was safe to go.  He knew the route.  He knew what lie beneath the surface of the deep. 

He led us to a reef full of beautiful fish.

Because I had confidence that our captain would not lead us into unsafe territory, I had no fear when diving into the deep to snorkel.  The beauty of the reef was the focus of my attention rather than fear.

Peace covered any hints of paranoia.  At one point a barracuda was only about 4 feet away from us!  However, even in the midst of lurking peril, I felt peace. 
  
We can be confident that our Captain will lead us safely to our destination.  He knows the deep.  He sees below the surface.   Our Captain knows where the dangers are and He knows how to maneuver us to the areas of beautiful reefs.  And yes, there may be many pointy teeth within feet of us.  But when we rest in His guidance and care, peace can prevail even in potential dangers.

When Peter went out into the deep, it was on faith.  He was the captain of his fishing vessel.  It did not make sense to Peter to go back out after fishing all night and catching nothing.  He had already been out there. However, he couldn’t see what Jesus saw.  Jesus saw below the surface. Jesus saw the fish.
   
But Peter said, “Nevertheless at Your word I will let down my net.”

Peter had faith to go even when he couldn’t see into the deep.  Peter was willing to relinquish his captainship to a Higher Captain.

We have a Captain who leads us safely through the waves to a predetermined location full of beautiful fish.  All we have to do is let down our nets and get ready for a catch. 


Jesus, take the Helm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment